SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
In its Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV aims more explicitly for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline. SNV has been working in Burkina Faso for 50 years and has a good track record in WASH. For more information on our works in Burkina Faso, please visit our website: https://snv.org/country/burkina-faso
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV’s WASH initiatives in both a rural and an urban context will provide access to improved drinking water services and/or improved sanitary facilities for 5 million people from 2019 to 2022. Access to water and sanitation is a human right, and we work with local governments to realise that right in their area, aiming at area-wide services. Our work improves environmental health by reducing pathways for disease transmission, and reduces both untreated human waste and wastewater.
Long-term sustainability lies at the core of our work. We strengthen public governance around WASH services, support institutional changes and capacity, develop financially viable services, and improve asset management of existing WASH infrastructure. This includes strengthening the roles of civil society and the private sector in advocacy and operation, as well as promoting sector and stakeholder dialogue and reflection about changing needs and standards in the light of increasing urbanisation and the Sustainable Development Goals.
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result-oriented and proven professional who has a broader scope, in particular to support smaller assignments and business development in neighbouring countries (Mali, Niger, Benin), however the focus is on Burkina.
Because of the regional responsibility it’s possible to be posted in either of these 3 duty stations: Bamako, Ouagadougou or Cotonou.
The WASH Sector Leader
1) Is responsible for the overall quality of the WASH programme content, actively contributing to business development efforts, and steering the quality of technical advisory services of SNV WASH programmes in-country;
2) Is responsible for donor reporting and relations in-country;
3) Enhances the quality and visibility of our WASH programmes and position SNV within the national WASH sector;
4) Contributes to documentation and knowledge development in the sector, by bringing in best practice from multiple countries
The WASH Sector Leader reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with the WASH global sector team.
- Strategic Leadership: develop country level WASH strategy aligned to corporate WASH frameworks;
- Advisory Services: lead complex assignments, set benchmarks for results, and monitor quality of advisory services of the WASH sector team;
- Programme Management: deliver effective development results, planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting;
- Business Development: ensure strategic positioning, engage with key WASH donors and external partners in-country; lead quality project design of proposals, and steer technical proposal writing in English and French for WASH programmes;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV advisors, local partner organisations and consultants;
- Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of WASH programmes in line with SNV’s internal frameworks;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to improve SNV’s market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
- Knowledge and learning: facilitate learning, documentation and evidence-based knowledge development, in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners. Specifically: bring in best practices from other SNV countries, and lead analysis and research, strengthen documentation and publications ;
· Relationship Management: ensure quality donor relationship management related to ongoing and new programmes/projects.
· Contribute to SNV country programme coordination as a member of the Country Management Team.
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in WASH or related field (Masters’ degree is required);
- 10+ years of relevant experience in WASH service delivery, of which at least 5 years in a management role;
- A thorough understanding of the aspects influencing sustainable WASH service delivery beyond the community level, experience in broader water governance is desired.
- International work experience in-country and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting.
- Strong background in resource mobilisation; demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management;
- Entrepreneurial skills and attitude, as well as commitment to work for local partners and in remote areas;
- Established international WASH networks and strong relationship management skills;
- Good analytical, writing skills, and capabilities to steer applied research
- Interest to collaborate, contribute to and learn from peers in SNV’s global WASH network;
- Excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in oral and written English and French are required.
- Previous experience in Burkina Faso and/or the Sahel is an asset; ability to work in fragile contexts.
- Full computer literacy and excellent reporting skills.
Terms of appointment
This is a full-time international position to be posted in either of these 3 duty stations: Bamako, Ouagadougou or Cotonou.
The successful candidate will be contracted for a 2-year contract, with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and it includes a competitive secondary benefit package.
Desired Start Date: ASAP
Female candidates are strongly encouraged!
How to Apply
If your educational background and working experience matches the requirements, please be welcome to submit your application via SmartRecruiters on or before 14th of February 2022 if you wish to be considered for this position.
Please note that candidates who make it to the job offering stage, we will require 3 references. We will not contact these references without your explicit consent.
All information will be held in the strictest confidence. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Candidates applied on the initial job announcement do not need to re-apply again.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement
How to apply