Oxfam Kenya Programme is looking for a WASH Strategist to lead in the design and implementation of WASH and public health programming – piloting innovative programme approaches, building partnerships, coalitions and networks and supporting local partners to develop organisational capacity to deliver high quality WASH programmes. The WASH Strategist will establish and maintain linkages with other thematic areas and link with Oxfam campaigns, policy influencing and advocacy teams. As required by the programme design, the post holder will manage contracted programme or project staff. A key area of work will be to fundraise for the programme and to generate and manage knowledge resources through linkages with knowledge hubs and other institutions.
Programme design, implementation and resourcing 40%
- Designs and delivers an integrated WASH programme with partners across ‘nexus’ programming. Ensures impact that contributes to synergies with the other thematic areas in the Oxfam country programme;
- Further the roll out of innovative models for multi-stakeholder sustainable WASH programming, including the scale up of operations and maintenance models to increase access to water and the structuring of a water financing facility to align and increase resources for improved public health outcomes;
- Leads WASH programme budgeting processes and the development of donor proposals and other necessary activities to secure funding;
- Effectively manages the WASH programme budget and staff. Ensures all contracts are managed and reported on, on time, within budget and to a high quality. Ensures planning across programmes and business support functions contributes to timely, efficient and effective results. Assesses and advises the Country Director and Director – Humanitarian Systems Strengthening on risks emerging from the programme.
- Ensures that an effective, transparent and robust monitoring, evaluation, learning and accountability system and processes are in place to ensure that the program delivers on the OCS.
- In collaboration with colleagues in the country program and local partners, ensure that gender analysis is applied to all WASH programming and that women’s rights are developed and protected;
- Monitors humanitarian needs in response to public health crises in Kenya and provides technical recommendations for appropriate intervention.
Partnership and coalition building, networking and support 40%
- Develops a comprehensive understanding of Oxfam’s partnership approach, including work with coalitions and networks. Adopts a strategic and proactive perspective on how to support partner-led approaches to achieve sustainable change.
- Develops and facilitates links with civil society, the private sector, local and national authorities, initiating contacts and building associations that can be used to enhance Oxfam’s work. Identifies and supports key local partners on the delivery of the programme objectives;
- Coordinates with key stakeholders to strengthen Oxfam’s role as a lead agency in supporting local organisations enhance their WASH capacity, and represents Oxfam in key national forums;
- Coordinates and mobilises technical and financial support for the program partners, accompanying them and ensuring high quality of programming.
Research, knowledge generation, campaigns and policy influencing 10%
- Provides thought leadership, staying up to date with the latest research in the sector, undertaking and commissioning analysis and developing a comprehensive understanding of how the lack of water, sanitation and public health opportunities contribute to poverty and inequality in the country;
- Support the development of a joint advocacy strategy and plan with allies and implements Oxfam’s role in the plan. With advocacy, media and campaigns colleagues, develop appropriate influencing materials for consumption by targeted groups at national regional and global levels;
- Provide regular information, briefings and publicity on WASH program activities. Develop written analysis and learning material for publication for the purpose of Oxfam and our partners.
- Documents lessons learnt and best practice as part of institutional learning and ensures research, learning and advice is disseminated for maximum impact.
Human resource management 10%
Manage staff, consultants and researchers as required, in accordance with Oxfam policy and procedures.
Technical Skills, and Knowledge
- Professional/Technical qualifications – Undergraduate/Post Graduate degree in Social Science, Economics, with experience in WASH and public health in both humanitarian and sustainable development contexts. Background in engineering is an added advantage.
- Experience in developing and implementing multi stakeholder models to enhance and align resources for sustainable WASH outcomes. Experience in coordinating multi stakeholder approaches essential. Specific experience in structuring financial models for sustainable WASH programming an advantage;
- Experience in working closely with local partners, identifying areas to strengthen programming quality and organising technical support to achieve this aim.
- Ability to engage and influence key stakeholders in WASH policy forums at national, regional and global levels and integrate learning from these forums to enhance the impact of Oxfam’s work
- Assessment, analytical and planning skills, with ability to translate analysis into recommendations for practical action, including proposal development.
- Proven analytical and conceptual thinking, high level research, project management knowledge and skills and experience using participatory tools and methodologies for assessment, programme identification, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent oral and written English skills is essential.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of implementing WASH programs and initiatives, ideally built on mature understanding of relevant issues derived from field experience in long term development and/or humanitarian contexts.
- Knowledge and experience of the application of SPHERE and links to longer term development practice.
- Knowledge, understanding and a commitment to linking hygiene promotion with water and sanitation activities.
- Strong programme management and quality knowledge, with ability to ensure consistent quality against standards and to implement effective monitoring and evaluation systems to assess and adjust performance
- Commitment to and good knowledge of working with networks, coalitions and a partnership approach across the spectrum of Oxfam’s work, including innovative approaches to capacity strengthening
- Good knowledge of and experience in developing advocacy and campaign strategies and plans and successfully achieving external impact and change.
- Good knowledge of and experience with donor funding environment and good financial management skills, with experience of project budgeting and controlling financial risks
- At least 7 years practical experience in public health, water access and emergency interventions in a similar role;
- Proven management experience at a strategic level in a complex, dispersed organisation with evidence of leading, facilitating and integrating a specific area of expertise across multiple sectors, providing clarity and focus of vision and impact, strategic planning and decision making and the delivery of agreed results;
- Experience in supporting local organisations to design and implement high quality WASH programmes on time and within budget;
- Excellent knowledge of the Kenya socio-political and economic environment and issues, particularly in the Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASALs) and in urban informal settlements;
- Politically astute, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills and personal gravitas to gain respect and build and maintain strong, credible relationships, with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Strong organisational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through
- Excellent personal communication skills and a high level of self-awareness, initiative, sound judgement, personal energy and flexibility.
- Experience in structural Engineering would be considered an advantage.
- Job City Nairobi