Foundation for Refugee Economic Empowerment (FREE) is a purpose-driven humanitarian and development non-governmental organization that implements a range of portfolio through purposeful partnerships. FREE builds bridges for improved lives for people affected by calamity. Our mission is to support people affected by natural and man-made disasters, especially those who have suffered displacement to be able to get back their lives and livelihoods in no time.We work also with underserved communities to ensure that they have basic facilities and services.
Over the past 7 years, working closely with government, civil society and private sector partners, FREE has reached more than 1,000,000 beneficiaries across Nigeria with assistance in Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Food and Livelihood Assistance, Health and Nutrition Support, Education in emergency, among others.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Supervisor
About the Role
- The FREE Nigeria WASH programme is looking for a talented, enthusiastic and experienced person with expertise and keenness to lead its WASH interventions in Northeast Nigeria.
- The position works under the Programme M&E Officer, and supervises WASH Field Officers and Volunteers.
The WASH Coordinator will be responsible of:
- Following-up implementation and increasing the quality of the WASH Programs in both bases (South and Bekaa) in close collaboration with technical teams.
- The Technical Coordinator will also liaise with both WASH PMs to support on reporting, project design and monitoring of current interventions.
- WASH Coordinator is also in charge of orienting the direction of the Department, aligning the strategy of the Department with the overall mission strategy and the Technical Programming Framework defined at HQ level.
- The WASH Coordinator will be in charge to decide which sub- sectors will be prioritize in the country based on the needs and gaps identified by the teams.
- The position also entails a considerable amount of time spent on nourishing external relationships, liaising with all type of external stakeholders: donors, local, regional, national authorities, working groups and overall representing Action Against Hunger in the country.
- Finally, WASH Coordinator will be in charge of capitalizing lessons learnt and build the capacity of ACF WASH teams, feeding up the future ACF Sectorial Strategy in Lebanon.
- Position Objective 1 – (50%): Ensure quality implementation of WASH activities, providing technical advice and guidance to the technical teams at base level
- Define programme implementation modalities and methodology, from emergency relief to long term actions in collaboration with the technical teams including, but not limited to, technical specifications, BOQs, identification of activities and follow-up and workplans.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to the technical teams when required: program orientation, monitoring, team support and follow-up at field level, ensuring quality and timely implementation of the WASH activities.
- Support, when needed, on the timely procurement of goods and services and budget follow-up of programmes, in close coordination with Finance Unit and the WASH PMs.
- Ensure team’s monitoring and evaluation plan is effective, logical, and moving towards achieving the expected results and indicators of the project.
- Identify, jointly with the WASH teams program constraints and bottlenecks during implementation, propose solutions and support teams while implementation the proposed actions.
- Participate in the development of technical and programmatic tools related to monitoring and evaluation of WASH projects (Monitoring tools, ToRs for consultants and evaluators, ad hoc reports) in direct relation with Programme M&E, Executive Director,
- Objective 2 – (50%): Identification of needs, evaluation assessments and project design – Strategy of the WASH Department
- Collect and analyse primary and secondary data from different sources related to the WASH sector gaps in Northeast Nigeria, especially focusing on Borno and Adamawa.
- Design and define needs assessments to be performed at field level and identify WASH needs of the most vulnerable populations across the country.
- Propose cost-effective implementation options and high-impact humanitarian responses to identified needs. Define program implementation modalities and methodologies, from emergency relief to long-term actions.
- Design and prepare WASH interventions in coordination with other Departments ensuring the technical relevancy of the Action by providing expertise, assertive and efficient inputs to each proposed intervention.
- Based on the identified needs and in alignment with the FREE objectives, define WASH Strategy for the coming periods in collaboration with the programme team.
Training / Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Sciences, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Public Health Specific training on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in humanitarian context.
Technical specific knowledge:
- Good analytical skills and capability to work in a precise, structured, and detailed manner.
- Must have good drafting and reporting skills.
- Experienced on the development of technical assessment and monitoring tools.
- Significant understanding and experience with project budgets and logistic procedures.
- Good communication skills, diplomacy, and coordination skills.
- 3 years of previous experience in similar position or relevant experience in the in the WASH Sector for at least 2 years
- Previous experience in WASH Programme management in emergencies and Water Governance.
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, preferably with experience supporting emergency response in Northeast Nigeria.
- Experienced in training and team capacity-building.
- Experience in representation/external coordination.
- English (compulsory working language, spoken, read and written). Knowledge of Hausa is an asset.
IT and specific systems:
- Strong computer skills in Office environment and data management. Knowledge of GIS software and KoboKollect is a plus.
Application Closing Date
6th November, 2022; 4:00 PM
9th November, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their recent CV along with a Cover Letter (no more than a page) to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Any employment with FREE could be subject to the following checks:
- Screening clearance
- Criminal records check
- Receipt of satisfactory references.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Do NOT apply for more than one position. Existing FREE staff are eligible to apply.
Our Values and Commitment to Safeguarding:
- FREE is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom FREE engages.
- FREE expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
- The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
- All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks.
- We may request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Desk Officer at the Foundation for Refugee Economic Empowerment (FREE)
- DHIS2 Application Developer at the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)
- Applied Plant Geneticist, Dryland Legumes and Cereals at International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT)
- Seed Systems Specialist, Easter and Southern Africa at International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT)
- Regional Head, East Africa at Integrity Action