EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: WATER & HABITAT ENGINEER
About the Job
The Water & Habitat Engineer plans, designs and implements engineering projects, monitors on-site works, carries out needs assessments, surveys and plans new projects in different areas of Somalia. S/he works under the supervision of the Head of Sub-Delegation.
This is a resident/national position based in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel to Somalia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares relevant documents, drawings, bills of quantities and contracts for engineering projects using approved formats
- Monitors project implementation for compliance with project documents, ICRC standards, and the local building code/standards, ensuring corrective action is taken where necessary
- Helps identify needs through assessments, surveys and shares results and findings with the Water and Habitat Delegate
- Supervises contractors working on project sites and conducts quality control of infrastructure installed by the ICRC
- Ensures that contract terms are understood and respected by the contractors
- Establishes a close working relationship and networks with the relevant stakeholders
- Monitors security issues related to project sites and provides regular information to the technical supervisor
- Oversees hand-over of ICRC-provided infrastructure to end-users
- Prepares implementation/progress reports for projects under his/her responsibility and submits to the technical supervisor
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
- University degree in Civil Engineering, Construction or Architecture
- 5 years of professional experience in the supervision of civil engineering works, experience working with an international humanitarian organization is an asset
- Proficient in use of drawing softwares; AutoCAD or other relevant softwares
- Experience in managing technical support staff
- Detail-oriented, highly organised and practices strict adherence to timelines
- Excellent planning and reporting skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali language
- Good knowledge of political, economic, social and cultural environment of this region
- Computer proficiency especially in MS office suite
- Flexibility and willingness to travel extensively in Somalia
- A challenging job opportunity within a dynamic work environment in an international humanitarian organisation
- Training and development opportunities
- A competitive salary with benefits, based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework
How to apply
Apply by sending your cover letter and CV addressed to the Human Resources Manager, ICRC Somalia Delegation, on the email address email@example.com. Your cover letter must indicate your current salary and your expected salary range. The closing date is 8th November 2022. Clearly indicate Water & Habitat Engineer Nairobi in the subject line of your email message. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted, and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on the link for information on data protection: Personal data protection information
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Regional Director, Finance at Last Mile Health
- Field Officer at Horn of Africa Peace Network
- Niger: Responsable Logistique Pays – Niamey at ACTED
- Deputy Medical Coordinator Re-Advertised. (National Position) at INTERSOS
- Niger : Chargé.e de Développement de Projets – Niamey at ACTED