Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that Studies have shown that women, black, indigenous people and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At MSF-OCBA we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the coordination teams based at capital level; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralized in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Logistics & Supply Chain Department.
The main purpose of the Watsan manager is to plan, coordinate, implement and monitor all logistics activities in the project related to Water, Health and Sanitation, according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the project.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In collaboration with the Project Coordinator and the Logistics Coordinator, planning, elaborating and reviewing the annual budget for the Watsan activities in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the mission and the targeted population.
- Monitoring on a day-to-day basis the implementation of the Watsan activities in the project ensuring compliance of MSF standards, protocols and procedures, and reporting to the Project Coordinator on the development of the ongoing programmes including the following:
- Designing, implementing and managing all Watsan interventions in the project. (including, but not limited to: water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, hygiene, and infection control.
- Conducting routine Watsan assessments in collaboration with project medical teams to identify Watsan needs at project level, and making recommendations for response activities to the line manager (e. g. Project/Field Coordinator, Watsan Coordinator/Referent/Focal Point). Ensuring the Watsan contribution to the development and planning of emergency response strategies and resources, in collaboration with the medical and logistical teams.
- Ensuring availability, proper purchasing, and appropriate technical specifications of required materials and equipment through planning, organizing and overseeing the inventory of the Watsan stock.
- In collaboration with the Project Coordinator, Logistics Coordinator and the HR Coordinator, participating in the planning and implementation of HR associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, detection of potential, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required to correctly perform all logistics activities pertaining to his area.
- Providing technical support to the medical team in identifying possible “risk factors” (e. g. behavioural practices, environmental sources of infection, and transmission routes) and offers solutions for infection control. Actively contributing to the integration of Watsan activities in the medical intervention offering project proposals and work plans.
- Ensuring proper collection and monitoring of Watsan data. Ensuring multidisciplinary data availability. Providing analysis of data and regular reporting of results (as requested by line management).
- Academic background in engineering or an equivalent relevant training.
- Watsan in Emergencies Training within MSF is strongly recommended.
- Previous experience in technical aspects of water and sanitation works.
- Minimum of 6-months of hands-on field emergency WHS professional experience in a humanitarian or international development setting.
- Desirable: experience in or familiar with implementing and promoting the use of two or more of the following activities (water supply, excreta disposal, waste and wastewater management, vector control, and dead bodies management) in two or more different contexts (conflicts, natural disasters, refugee/IDP camps, etc.).
- Desirable: public health background or experience.
- Good level of Portuguese & English, knowledge of French & Spanish will be valued.
- Computer literacy.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Induction process to the organization and the position.
- Salary & Secondary Benefits determined by previous professional experience and MSF OCBA’s rewards policy. Paid leave of 25 days per year and R&R (rest and recovery) long weekends according to MSF OCBA’s policy.
- Private insurance covering medication and hospitalization, disability, as well as any type of evacuation.
- The chance to develop professionally in an international organization. A profile manager from the HR department will guarantee a proper onboarding according to your first assignment considering your previous professional experience. This person will also monitor your professional development (career path, training, etc.) within the organization and will offer you different tools to guarantee the best possible experience; induction, coaching or mentoring, depending on the needs.
- A dynamic set up with opportunities for multicultural exposure. The position collaborates directly to MSF’S social mission, which is providing medical care, alleviating suffering and helping those most in need.
How to apply
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter:
Closing date: April 13th, 2023, CET (Central European Time).
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture. Individuals as women, BIPOC, people with disabilities, LGBTQIAP+ and other related collectives, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Information Management Specialist at Danish Refugee Council
- Finance Coordinator at Danish Refugee Council
- Cash and Livelihoods Coordinator at Danish Refugee Council
- Grants Officer – Sudan – based in SDN-Khartoum at Première Urgence Internationale
- Health Coordinator – Sudan – based in SDN-Khartoum at Première Urgence Internationale