ABOUT FAIRTRADE AFRICA
Established in 2005, Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is a member of Fairtrade International and the umbrella network organization representing Fairtrade-certified Producer Organizations in Africa and the Middle East. It has four (4) regional networks – Eastern & Central Africa; Southern Africa; West Africa; and the Middle East & North Africa. FTA currently represents 1,354,294 farmers and workers in 660 producer organizations spread across 28 countries in Africa and the Middle East by providing services to them that contribute to the improvement of their livelihoods.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Youth Coordinator at Fairtrade Africa (FTA) shall be responsible to contribute to youth empowerment by promoting the youth’s active participation in the operations of Fairtrade certified producer organizations in Africa, and the Middle East.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Performance Areas
- Facilitate knowledge building and mainstreaming of youth aspects among FTA staff members and its producer members.
- Develop tools and approaches towards strengthening FTA’s capacity to support its producer members in promoting youth empowerment, through Fairtrade and other social, political and economic approaches
- Establish, update and maintain youth-related policies and youth strategy for FTA, and lead FTA’s contribution towards the Fairtrade system’s policies and strategies for youth
- Support producers in the design, development and implementation of relevant policies
- Work with the regions to administer and deliver programs for youth among producers.
- Utilise as well as review to update, existing portfolio guidelines such as the terms of reference for Fairtrade Africa Premium Alumni Association (FAPAA), and FTA Continental Youth Association, in a way that translates FTA’s priorities into interventions.
- Effectively apply Results Based Management tools, establish management targets, monitor achievement of results, ensure quality control and learning, and coordinate implementation.
- Conduct youth assessments in each region, so as to establish effectiveness of interventions and also to identify gaps; constantly monitor the environment to ensure timely readjustment of interventions.
- Provide regular reports on activities, outputs and outcomes to different audiences.
- Proactively feed into unit planning and manage relevant budget lines in line with financial management procedures and requirements
Mainstreaming youth into Fairtrade Africa’s approach to development
- Work closely with FTA regional networks as well as with systemwide Fairtrade units such as Workers’ Rights, Social Compliance, FLOCERT, etc. in order to assimilate youth components into policies, standards, advocacy, producer support, certification/auditing practices, communications, marketing and business engagement. Advice on possible areas for support or adjustments in existing operations.
- Conduct outreach to recruit youth for FTA’s youth programmes.
- Identify good (best) practices and disseminate findings through guidelines and manuals especially among member producers
- Lead in organizing relevant events, attend seminars or conferences as required.
- Work closely with the Fundraising unit to enable the successful design of youth-related projects and programmes for which external funding is required.
- Develop annual resource mobilization targets for youth strategic plan
- Provide support in design and development of regional youth/programme concepts and proposals
- Ensure high quality and timely submission of proposals and concept notes
Creation and Management of Strategic Partnerships
- Map and develop partnerships with local as well as global partners that have context-specific expertise on youth empowerment, in line with the FTA Partnership Approach.
- Coordinate partnerships, ensuring efficient and transparent communication and exchange with partners.
- Perform other duties and tasks that are consistent with the skills and expertise as needed.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, International Development or related field
Experience and Knowledge
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience that involved the engagement of youth
- Experience in delivering training, particularly to the youth
- Knowledge of youth-related best practices in the agricultural sector
- Knowledge and understanding of Fairtrade practices, and interest in the Fairtrade system
- Ability to communicate ideas in a manner conducive to their practical application and comfortable working as part of a team, to add value to collective results
- Able to constructively challenge and influence others to affect change where needed
- Well-developed literacy skills and ability to interpret and communicate complex technical information clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with individuals across multi-functional disciplines
- Good organizational, training and facilitation, as well as conflict resolution skills
How to apply
An application form (CVs will not be accepted) can be found on the jobs and volunteering page of our website: https://fairtradeafrica.net/vacancies-2/
If you have any queries, please e-mail email@example.com or call +254 202721771 or +254 704180169 and ask to speak to a member of the HR team.
Qualified applicants will be subjected to background checks as a pre-condition of employment.
Completed applications should be saved in the applicant’s name and the position (Youth Coordinator) and be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants should state how they meet the essential requirements of the post and include their email address, telephone contacts and three referees with contact details on the application form.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Terms Of Reference For Provision Of Project Management Services at Fairtrade Africa
- Senior Programme Officer-Coffee-Donuts Programme at Fairtrade Africa
- Adjoint Coordinateur Finances (f/h/x) at Médecins du Monde – Belgique
- Peacebuilding Advisor- Peace Strategy for Women and Youth at International Organization for Migration
- Senior Technical Advisor – Health Systems Strengthening at Pact