Title: Youth Engagement Manager
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions
Planned Parenthood Global is the international arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. We have partnered with brave on-the-ground leaders to spark and sustain progress at the leading edge of the movement for sexual and reproductive health and rights. Our locally led and globally connected model drives advocacy and accountability to secure the services and access all people deserve.
Planned Parenthood Global seeks a Youth Engagement Manager to provide technical, financial, and programmatic support to Planned Parenthood Global’s staff and partners working to advance adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health and rights in the Africa Region.
Reporting to the Regional Director, Africa Regional Office (ARO), and working in close partnership with the Associate Director of Youth Engagement, Global Program Support (GPS), the Youth Engagement Manager, ARO will manage the creation, incubation, and support of local partners’ efforts to implement the programmatic components of ARO’s youth-focused initiatives in support of PP Global’s new Backing the Brave Strategy. A primary component of the youth work in ARO is in the strengthening and expansion of Billi Now Now! (BNN!), which aims to create a powerful youth movement that leverages technology and youth culture to empower young people to adopt positive steps towards embracing their sexual and reproductive health (SRH) and advocate for their rights. The BNN! movement has a rallying call of: “a billion young people, in charge of their bodies, culture, and destiny.”.
The Youth Engagement manager will report to the Regional Director, ARO and a partner to the Associate Director of Youth Engagement, responsible for the overarching global and cross-regional youth engagement strategy.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Establish and grow BNN! in East Africa (Approximately 50%)
The Youth Engagement Manager will lead the adaptation and expansion of BNN!’s work in West Africa to select countries across East Africa. Building on research and engagement led by the Associate Director of Youth Engagement, the Youth Engagement Manager will support the implementation and expansion of Billi Now Now! across the Africa region, including:
- Identification, engagement, and support of local partners to pilot and implement their programming
- Management, oversight and support of partner contracts and reporting to PP Global, including budgeting and monitoring of expenditures
- Tracking and reporting of program activities to PP Global donors, including review and validation of data presented in any reports by BNN! implementing partners
- Management and oversight of a digital youth engagement and accountability strategy
- Engagement with other youth movement building organizations and initiatives with similar goals
- Documentation and sharing of successes and lessons learned
Support continued growth and impact of BNN! in West Africa (Approximately 10%)
- Provide supervision, mentorship, and support to the BNN! West Africa lead
- Provide guidance and support for the expansion of BNN! to new countries in West Africa
- Oversee the preparation and submission of required donor reports including responding to donor queries and coordinating their field visit
- Identify opportunities for regional cross learning between the West and East Africa regions
- Work closely with the Digital and Media consultant to raise BNN’s brand visibility and impact in West Africa
Support and strengthen youth programming across ARO (Approximately 20%)
- Serve as an expert resource and partner to other ARO colleagues seeking to engage youth in their programming or initiatives
- Provide technical support including advice on the youth strategy, policy and program analysis and reviews to support the efforts and proposals of PP Global ARO colleagues seeking to engage youth
- Strengthen the skills and knowledge of other PP Global ARO staff on youth engagement and mobilization
Participate in and support development of cross-regional youth strategies and initiatives (Approximately 10%)
- Serve as a member of PP Global’s youth engagement community of practice led by the Associate Director of Youth Engagement, informing the development and implementation of a cross-regional PP Global youth engagement strategy
- Support implementation of the Global Youth Ambassador (GYA) program in the ARO, including assessment and onboarding of host partners in the Africa region, review and selection of candidates for placement opportunities, and monitoring and evaluation of their engagement
Operations and administration (Approximately 10%)
- Recruit and manage consultants to support expansion, assessment, or new components of ARO’s youth work
- Help to plan youth-related meetings and events to advance ARO’s youth strategy
- Serve as the primary liaison with BNN!’s website engagement firm supervising the development and management of the BNN! website
- Other duties that advance youth programming across the ARO region
- Masters or Advanced degree in communications, public health, public policy, or other related field – or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five to seven years’ experience working with young people, preferably in the field of sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Proven experience using and tracking digital communications to encouraging engagement of young people in advocacy and/or accountability
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong project management skills required, budgeting skills preferred
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation and training, team building, networking, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Fluent in written and spoken English is mandatory; good command of French is desirable.
- Flexible, cross-culturally aware and adaptable to changes
- Young applicants are strongly encouraged to apply
Ability to travel approximately 35% time.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are encouraged to send in their applications which includes a cover letter and updated CV attached as one document together with salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title Youth Engagement Manager. The closing date is September 15, 2022. We do not charge any fee at any stage of our recruitment process
For more information about Planned Parenthood Global, please visit https://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/planned-parenthood-global.
While we would like to respond to all applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- GFPREQ01917 – Consultancy Service to digitalize community referrals directory for social and legal support structures
- Program Manager II – Emergency (Re-Advertised) at Catholic Relief Services
- Migrant and host community Entrepreneurship Study Consultant at International Organization for Migration
- Senior Officer, Partner Safeguarding at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
- Accountability Officer at Catholic Relief Services